Need to set up yum repository for locally-mounted DVD on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
Article Number: 428 | Rating: Unrated | Last Updated: Mon, Oct 29, 2018 11:23 PM
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
- How to set up yum repository to use locally-mounted DVD with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7
- Would like to upgrade server from RHEL 7.x to RHEL 7.y
- Have a secure environment that will never be connected to the internet, but still needs to be updated
- Way to update the packages on server, with no satellite server and servers disconnected from internet
- Offline patches for Red Hat systems
- How do I create a local repository in RHEL 7?
Please note: If the system is registered to Red Hat Network,
yum can be run with the
--noplugins option to prevent it from connecting to RHN. The safer option would be to unregister the system to avoid updating to the latest release.
Mount the RHEL 7 installation ISO to a directory like
# mount -o loop RHEL7.1.iso /mnt
If you use DVD media , you can mount like below.
media.repo file from the root of the mounted directory to
/etc/yum.repos.d/ and set the permissions to something sane, e.g.:
# cp /mnt/media.repo /etc/yum.repos.d/rhel7dvd.repo
# chmod 644 /etc/yum.repos.d/rhel7dvd.repo
Edit the new repo file, changing the
gpgcheck=0 setting to
1 and adding the following 3 lines
In the end, the new repo file could look like the following (though the
mediaid will be different depending on the version of RHEL):
name=DVD for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.1 Server
clear the related caches by
yum clean all and
subscription-manager clean once
# yum clean all
# subscription-manager clean
check whether you can get the packages list from the DVD repo
if no problem , you will update
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Secure NTP with NTS
Viewed 196 times since Sun, Dec 6, 2020
RHEL: Create a local RPM repository
Viewed 1637 times since Sun, May 27, 2018
ZPOOL: Add a mirror to a concat zpool
Viewed 1333 times since Sun, Jun 3, 2018